The research, teaching and dissemination activity of the group deal salso with the integration of vegetation in architecture, with green façades and roofs, and in urban environment to improve ecological and environmental conditions.
The group developed several research projects on the use of vegetation. In particular the group is working on evaluation of the positive effects of vertical greening systems, monitoring of the performances of INPS green façade (Genoa) with regard to environmental quality and energy performances of the building envelope. In addition a Post-doc research funded by the University of Genoa regarding the use of vegetation for the improvement of environmental conditions for human health and a PhD research “The integration of vegetation in architecture. Innovative methods and tools”, regards the evaluation of the many architectural and functional aspects related to the integration of vegetation in architecture in the field of environmental sustainability. The group collaborates with the Delft University of Technology since 2010 on researches regarding the positive effects of vertical green. Aspects related to the environmental sustainability of dense urban areas and the role of green infrastructures, considering the policies implemented in New York city and the role of the community involvement, were deepened thanks to a research funded by Fulbright Schuman, Columbia University, New York City.
Group members authored several monographs and journal papers regarding the integration of vegetation in architecture, green façades and roofs, green infrastructure, LCA and cost benefit analysis.
TEACHING ACTIVITIES AND SCIENTIFIC COMMUNICATION
Professors and researchers of the group carry out teaching activities on the integration of vegetation in architecture and in urban environment, in Italy and abroad. They are also teacher in several post-graduation courses. Results of research works have been presented in national and international conferences.
- 2016 – Research funded by the German Academic Exchange Service DAAD conducted at the Technische Universität München, Chair of Building Technology and Climate Responsive Design. Title of the project: Climate landscape. A new approach to urban design and landscape architecture. Responsible: Katia Perini.
- 2014-2017 – Research funded by INPS Liguria regarding the evaluation of the positive effects of vertical greening systems for the improvement of environmental condition and energy performances of building envelope. Scientific responsible: Adriano Magliocco; with: Katia Perini
- 2013-2016 – Post-doc research funded by University of Genoa. Polytechnic School – University of Genoa, Department DSA. Katia Perini; supervisor: Adriano Magliocco. The research activity regards the improvement of environmental conditions for human health: the role played by vegetation in the city of Genoa, hints and strategies to reach European standards.
- 2013 – Research funded by Fulbright Schuman, Columbia University, New York City, USA. Katia Perini works with the Graduate School of Architecture Planning and Preservation and the l’Urban Design Lab (Earth Institute) at a research project regarding the environmental sustainability of dense urban areas and the role of green infrastructures, considering the policies implemented in New York city and the role of the community involvement.
- 2009-2012 – Doctoral research “The integration of vegetation in architecture. Innovative methods and tools”. Polytechnic School – University of Genoa, Department DSA. PhD: Katia Perini; promoter: Rossana Raiteri; co-promoter: Adriano Magliocco, Michiel Haas (TUDelft). The research regards the evaluation of the many architectural and functional aspects related to the integration of vegetation in architecture in the field of environmental sustainability.
- 2010- 2011. Research in collaboration with the Delft University of Technology, Department of Civil Engineering & Geosciences, Materials & Environment. Katia Perini in collaboration with Marc Ottelé (TUDelft). Title of the researches developed (in collaboration with Dr. Marc Ottele): “An experimental approach to determinate the effect of vertical greenery systems on thermal resistance and wind velocity”, “A comparative life cycle analysis for green façades and living wall systems”.
- Perini Katia, Paola Sabbion (2017). “Urban sustainability and river restoration. Green and blue infrastructure” (pagine 304). Construction Sustainability John Wiley & Sons Limited. ISBN: 978-1-119-24496-7.
Peréz Gabriel, Perini Katia (2017). “Nature based strategies for urban and building sustainability. Vertical greening systems, Green roofs, and Green streets”, forthcoming in ELSEVIER.
- Perini Katia (2013). “Urban areas and green infrastructure. Local communities and environmental policies in New York City. The case of the Bronx River” (pages 122), Urban Design Lab at the Earth Institute, Columbia University, ISBN 978-09822174-5-0.
- Perini Katia (2013). “Progettare il verde in città. Una strategia per l’architettura sostenibile” (pages 172), Franco Angeli Editore, Milan, ISBN 978-88-204-5319-0.
- Perini Katia (2012). “L’integrazione di vegetazione in architettura. Metodi e strumenti innovativi – The integration of vegetation in architecture. Innovative methods and tools” (pages 272), Tesi di Dottorato, University of Genoa, ISBN 9788890692505.
- Giachetta Andrea, Magliocco Adriano (2007). “Progettazione sostenibile: dalla pianificazione territoriale all’eco-design” (pages 370), Carocci editore, Rome, ISBN 978-88-430-4091-9.
- McPhearson Timon, Madhav Karki, Cecilia Herzog, Helen Santiago Fink, Luc Abbadie, Peleg Kremer, Christopher M. Clark, Matthew I. Palmer, and Katia Perini. “Urban Ecosystems and Biodiversity” In Cynthia Rozensweig, Bill Solecki, et al. Eds, Urban Climate Change Research Network Second Assessment Report on Climate Change in Cities (ARC3-2), forthcoming from Cambridge University Press.
- Perini Katia (2016), “Riqualificazione del Bronx River: processi partecipativi e politiche bottom-up. The Bronx River restoration: participative processes and bottom-up policies”. In Cluster in progress. Technologia dell’architettura in rete per l’innovazione – The architectural technology network for innovation. Maggioli Editore. ISBN9788891612496.
- Ottelé Marc, Perini Katia, Haas Michiel (2013). “Life cycle assessment (LCA) of green facades and living wall systems” (pp. 457-483), in: Pacheco-Torgal, Cabeza, Labrincha, de Magalhaes (edited by), “Eco-efficient construction and building materials: Life cycle assessment (LCA), eco-labelling and case studies”, Woodhead Publishing Series in Civil and Structural Engineering, N. 49, ISBN : 9780857097675.
- Perini Katia (2014). “Il verde in architettura, sostenibilità o greenwash?”, in: Perini Katia, Porcile Gian Luca (edited by) “Architettura & Energia. ICAR65 Percorsi multidisciplinari di ricerca Vol. I”, Genova University Press – Ricerca, Genoa, ISBN-13: 978-88-97752-34-9.
- Perini Katia (2011). “Facciate verdi per la riqualificazione sostenibile. Permanenze e trasformazioni nell’architettura del Mediterraneo”, in: Germanà Maria Luisa, “Mediterranea Architecture between heritage and innovation”, Firenze University Press, Florence (Italy), ISBN 978-88-66-55-007-5 (online), ISBN 978-88-66-55-003-7 (print).
Scientific journal papers
- Perini Katia, Rosasco Paolo (2016). Is greening the building envelope economically sustainable? An analysis to evaluate the advantages of economy of scope of vertical greening systems and green roofs. Urban For. Urban Green. doi:10.1016/j.ufug.2016.08.002.
- Perini Katia, Paola Sabbion (2016). Infrastrutture verdi-blu in ambito urbano, i casi del Bronx River a NYC e del Paillon a Nizza – Green-blue infrastructure in urban areas, the case of the Bronx River (NYC) and Paillon (Nice) , Techne – Firenze University Press (Italy), Vol. 11 (pp. 120-126), doi: 10.13128/Techne-15070; ISSN online: 2239-0243 (http://www.fupress.com/techne).
- Perini Katia, Novi Fausto (2016). “Is Greening the Building Envelope a Sustainable Design Practice?” J. Civ. Eng. Archit. 10. doi:10.17265/1934-7359/2016.06.004.
- Magliocco Adriano, Perini Katia (2015). The perception of green integrated into architecture: installation of a green facade in Genoa, Italy. DOI:10.3934/environsci.2015.5.899. pp.899-909. In AIMS ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE – ISSN:2372-0352.
- Magliocco Adriano, Perini Katia (2015). Una facciata verde a Genova Sestri Ponente. pp.146-151. In IL PROGETTO SOSTENIBILE – ISSN:1974-3327.
- Katia Perini, Adriano Magliocco & Saverio Giulini (2016): “Vertical greening systems evaporation measurements: does plant species influence cooling performances?”, International Journal of Ventilation, DOI: 10.1080/14733315.2016.1214388.
- Perini Katia, Magliocco Adriano (2016). “Una facciata verde a Genova Sestri Ponente”. IlProgettoSostenibile, Ricerca e tecnologie per l’ambiente costruito, Volume 36-37 (pp. 146-151). Edicom Edizioni (Italy); ISSN 1974-3327.
- Magliocco Adriano, Perini Katia (2014), “Urban environment and vegetation: comfort and urban heat island mitigation/La vegetazione in ambiente urbano: comfort e riduzione del fenomeno isola di calore” (pp. 155-162), Techne, Firenze University Press, Florence (Italy), Vol. 8, doi: 13128/Techne-15070, ISSN online: 2239-0243 (http://www.fupress.com/techne).
- Perini Katia, Magliocco Adriano (2014). “Effects of vegetation, urban density, building height, and atmospheric conditions on local temperatures and thermal comfort” (pp. 495–506), Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, Elsevier (Netherlands), Vol. 13, N. 3, doi: 1016/j.ufug.2014.03.003. Published online March 2014, ISSN: 1618-8667 (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/urban-forestry-and-urban-greening/).
- Perini Katia, Ottelé Marc (2014). “Designing green façades and living wall systems for sustainable constructions”, International Journal of Design & Nature and Ecodynamics, Vol. 9, N. 1, WIT Press, ISSN 1755-7437.
- Perini Katia, Rosasco Paolo (2013). “Cost Benefit Analysis for green façades and living wall systems” (pp.110-121), Building and Environment, Elsevier (Netherlands), Vol. 70, December 2013, doi: 10.1016/j.buildenv.2013.08.012; ISSN:0360-1323 (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/building-and-environment/).
- Perini Katia (2013). “Retroﬁtting with vegetation recent building heritage applying a design tool—the case study of a school building” (pp. 267–277), Frontiers of Architectural Research – Higher Education Press (production and hosting by Elsevier), Vol. 2, N. 3, September 2013, doi: 10.1016/j.foar.2013.06.002, ISSN Print, ISSN: 2095-2635 (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/frontiers-of-architectural-research).
- Perini Katia, Magliocco Adriano (2012). “The integration of vegetation in architecture, vertical and horizontal greened surfaces”, International Journal of Biology – Canadian Center of Science and Education, 4, Number 2, April (pp. 79-91), doi:10.5539/ijb.v4n2p79; ISSN Print 1916-9671, ISSN on line 1916-968X (http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/ijb).
- Perini Katia, Ottelé Marc, Haas Michiel, Raiteri Rossana (2012). “Vertical greening systems, a process tree for green façades and living walls” (pp. 265-277), Urban Ecosystems – Springer, 16, N. 2, doi: 10.1007/s11252-012-0262-3. Published online September 2012, ISSN print:1083-8155, ISSN online: 1573-1642 (http://www.springer.com/life+sciences/ecology/journal/11252).
- Perini Katia, Ottelé Marc (2012). “Life cycle analysis comparativa di sistemi per il verde verticale” (pp. 82-85), IlProgettoSostenibile, Ricerca e tecnologie per l’ambiente costruito, N. 30, Edicom Edizioni, ISSN 1974-3327.
- Perini Katia (2012). “L’integrazione di vegetazione in architettura. Metodi e strumenti innovativi” (p.91), Il Progetto Sostenibile. Ricerca e tecnologia per l’ambiente costruito, N. 31 Edicom Edizioni, ISSN 1974-3327.
- Ottelé Marc, Perini Katia, Fraaij Alex, Haas Michiel, Raiteri Raiteri (2011). “Comparative life cycle analysis for green façades and living wall systems” (pp. 3419–3429), Energy and Buildings – Elsevier (Netherlands), Vol. 43, N. 12, December 2011, doi:10.1016/j.enbuild.2011.09.010; ISSN: 0378-7788 (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/energy-and-buildings).
- Perini Katia, Ottelé Marc, Fraaij Alex, Haas Michiel, Raiteri Rossana (2011). “Vertical greening systems and the effect on air flow and temperature on the building envelope” (pp. 2287-2294), Building and Environment, Elsevier (Netherlands), Vol. 46, N. 12, November 2011, doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2011.05.009, ISSN: 0360-1323 (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/building-and-environment).
- Perini Katia, Ottelé Marc, Haas Michiel, Raiteri Rossana (2011). “Greening the building envelope, façade greening and living wall systems” (pp. 1-8), Open Journal of Ecology – Scientific Research Publishing (USA-China), Vol. 1, N. 1, doi:10.4236/oje.2011.11001, ISSN Print:2162-1985, ISSN Online: 2162-1993 (http://www.scirp.org/journal/oje/).
- Perini Katia (2016). “Between research and teaching: green infrastructure for dense urban areas”. EAAE ARCC 10th international conference on architectural research – 15-18 June 2016. ISBN9781138029668.
- Perini Katia (2016). “Green infrastructure in New York City: top down and bottom up initiatives to improve environmental quality”. EAAE ARCC 10th international conference on architectural research – 15-18 June 2016. ISBN9781138029668.
- Perini Katia, Magliocco Adriano (2015). Urban sustainable development in Mediterranean area. The case of Sestri Ponente, Genoa. MedGreen Forum. In stampa.
- Perini Katia, Magliocco Adriano, Roberta Prampolini (2015). “Qualità ambientale e percezione dei sistemi di verde verticale: un caso studio”.3° edizione di “Abitare il Futuro”-3° edition of “Inhabiting the Future”. Giornate Internazionali di Studio – International Conference. Università di Napoli Federico II – Dipartimento di Architettura. pp. 1462-1470ISBN 978-88-84-97-544-7.
- Perini Katia (2015), “Green Infrastructure in New York City: The case of the Bronx River”, in Cities of the Future Conference. Transitions to the Urban Water Services of Tomorrow (TRUST), Mülheim An Der Ruhr, Germany, 28 – 30 April 2015. ISNB 9781780407760.
- Perini Katia, Novi Fausto (2014), “Sustainable Design Practice and Greenwash Effect. The Case of Vegetated Architecture” (pp. 593-605), ACROSS: Architectural Research through to Practice 48th International Conference of the Architectural Science Association (ANZAScA), December 2014, Genoa, Italy, Genova University Press, ISBN 978-0-9923835-1-0.
- Perini Katia, Ottelé Marc (2012), “Vertical greening systems: contribution to thermal behaviour on the building envelope and environmental sustainability” (pp. 239-250), Fourth International Conference on Harmonisation between Architecture and Nature, Semptember 2012, Kos, Greece, WIT Press (United Kingdom), WIT Transactions on Ecology and The Environment, Vol 165, doi:10.2495/ARC120221, ISSN online 1743-3541 (www.witpress.com).
- Perini Katia (2012). “Vegetation, architecture and sustainability” (pp.480-483), Cities in transformation. Research & Design. International Conference on Architectural Research, 7-10 June, Milan, Italy, Politecnico di Milano, ISBN 978-2-930301-56-3.
- Perini Katia (2012). “Vegetazione e costruito nell’area mediterranea” (pp. 315-319). Med-Net.Eu, Report convegno, 28-29 June, Genoa, Italy, University of Genoa, ISBN 9788895623856.
- Perini Katia (2010). “Progetto sperimentale di una facciata verde” (pp. 1218-1225), Abitare il futuro, 13-14 December, Naples, Italy, ISBN 987-88-8497-163-0.
- Ottelé Marc, Perini Katia, Fraaij Alex, Haas Michiel, Raiteri Rossana (2011). “Comparative life cycle analysis for green façades and living wall systems” (pp.89-109), Journal of International Scientific Publications: Ecology and Safety, Volume 5 part 1, June 4–8, Sunny Beach, Bulgaria, ISSN 1313-2563.
- Cassinelli Giacomo, Perini Katia (2010). “L’estetica della sostenibilità” (pp. 67-72), Eurau’10, 23-26 June, Naples, Italy, ISBN: 978-88-8497-162-3.
TEACHING ACTIVITIES AND SCIENTIFIC COMMUNICATION
Teaching activities carried out and organized by group members and courses for the University of Genoa
- Doctorate in Architecture and Design of the University of Genoa (Magliocco, Novi, Raiteri, Giachetta)
- Course IAS (EAS – Engineering and Architecture of Sustainability) of ISSUGE (Advanced Studies Institute of Genoa University) (Magliocco, Giachetta)
- Environmental sustainability in architecture project (annual – Giachetta);
- Environmental sustainability (semi-annual – Giachetta);
- Bioclimatic design (annual – Giachetta)
- Design and technology of vegetation in architecture (annual – Perini, Serafino);
- Laboratory for Design Technology and Environment (Magliocco)
Universities where the team members carried out teaching activities
- Linnaeus University (Sweden)
Universitat de Lleida (Spain)
Technische Universität München (Germany)
Université de Corse Pascal Paoli (France)
- Polytechnic School – Milan
- Polytechnic School – Lecco
- La Sapienza – Rome
- Dipartimento di Scienze della Formazione – University of Genoa
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, USA
- Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania (U.S.A)
Bodies and societies for which the team members carried out teaching activities
Associations of Architects of La Spezia, Savona, Genoa; Scuole Edili di Genoa, Savona, Imperia; ISP-Italia, F.IRE. s.c.r.l., Genoa
- 2014 – International Conference on Green Walls. Meeting the Challenge of a Sustainable Urban Future: the Contribution of Green Walls (Katia Perini), Presentation: “Vertical greening systems: social and private benefits and costs”. Staffordshire University, Stoke-on-Trent, UK
- 2013 – Junior Researchers Forum del Earth Institute (Katia Perini). Presentation: “Integration of vegetation in urban fabric”. Columbia University, New York City (U.S.A)
- 2013 – UCCRN Initiating Workshop for the Second Assessment Report on Climate Change in cities (ARC3-2, Katia Perini) working gruop “Urban Ecology, Biodiversity, and Ecosystem Services”. Columbia University in New York City.
- 2012 – Eco-Architecture IV. Harmonisation between Architecture and Nature. International Conference (Katia Perini). Paper and presentation: “Vertical greening systems: contribution on thermal behaviour on the building envelope and environmental sustainability”. Kos (Greece)
- 2012 – Med-net.Eu International Conference. Katia Perini panelist of “technology-innovation” with Gianluca Peluffo (UNIGE), Luca Mazzari (UNIGE), Prof. Enric Serra (ETSAB). University of Genoa, Department DSA (Italy).
- 2012 – EAAE/ARCC International Conference (Katia Perini). Paper and presentation: “Vegetation, architecture and sustainability”. Politecnico di Milano (Italy).
- 2012 – Paper for Conference/Final Event “Il Progetto Europeo SCORE: edilizia sostenibile in ambito MED” (“The Score European Project: MED sustainable building” (Andrea Giachetta) – “Green City Energy on the Sea”, International Forum [30/11/2012, Genoa, Magazzini del Cotone].
- 2008 – Paper for Conference “Architettura bioclimatica e bioedilizia: aggiornamento del Piano Territoriale di Coordinamento della Provincia di Savona” (“Bioclimatic Architecture and Bio-Architecture: Update of the Territorial Plan for Coordination of Province of Savona”), Provincia di Savona, Palazzo Nervi di Savona [30 May 2008].
- 2007 – Paper for Conference “Educambiente07” Province of Savona, Fortress Priamar (Andrea Giachetta); Paper: “L’architettura bioclimatica e la bioedilizia nel Piano Territoriale di Coordinamento della Provincia di Savona” (“Bioclimatic Architecture and Bio-Architecture in Territorial Plan for Coordination of Province of Savona”) [25 September 2007].
Note: some working activities carried out by the member of the research group prior they started to work full time for the University of Genoa (DSA)
- 2007 – Competition published by IACP (Naples, Italy) with the project “Rione verde” (Green neighbourhood), special mention (Giacomo Cassinelli, Katia Perini).